If you received a Juror Qualification Questionnaire, or a letter from the Court requesting you to complete a qualifying questionnaire, you must complete the questionnaire either online or in paper form within 10 days of receipt. Failure to complete the questionnaire, which is required by law, may result in your being summoned to report at your expense for completion of the questionnaire at this office.
Please do not telephone the Court or send letters requesting to be excused in lieu of completing the questionnaire. We cannot respond to such requests until the questionnaire is returned to us.
To respond to your questionnaire online, please click here eJuror. You will need your 9 digit Participant Number in order to complete the process.
Disqualifications from Jury Service
The following persons shall be disqualified for jury service pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1865(b):
- A person who is not a citizen of the United States;
- A person who is less than 18 years of age;
- A person who has not resided in the Northern District of Alabama for a period of one year;
- A person who is unable to read, write and understand the English language with a degree of proficiency sufficient to satisfactorily fill out the juror qualification questionnaire form;
- A person who is unable to speak the English language;
- A person who is incapable of rendering satisfactory jury service by reason of mental or physical infirmity;
- A person who has a charge pending against him or her in a state or federal court of record for the commission of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year;
- A person who has been convicted in a state or federal court of record of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year and his or her civil rights have not been restored.
Exemptions from Jury Service
A person is exempt and shall be barred from jury service pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1863(b)(6), if that person is:
- a member in active service of the Armed Forces of the U.S.;
- a member of the fire or police department of any state or subdivision thereof; or
- a public official in the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the U.S., or of any state or subdivision thereof who is actively engaged on a full-time basis in the performance of official duties.
PLEASE NOTE: The qualification questionnaire must be completed regardless of whether or not one of the above disqualifications or exemptions applies.